Wednesday, May 23

Oh dear. I have not slept at all, dogged by recurring dreams of a drifting boat with no ropes to tie her up.

Not surprising really as Turtle and I took XJ on her maiden voyage across the basin last night and did not enjoy it at all. She constantly spun out of control and we very nearly crashed into: Another narrowboat, Liam and Ailsa’s new boat, the fuck-off dutch barge belonging to the marina warden, a large weir, and the Thames lock. In that order. People were coming out of their boats just to push our boat away.


Narrowboats are ridiculously designed and impossible to manouver. They drift shockingly large distances at the slightest breeze, they spin on a middle axis and they do not have brakes. None of this is good when trying to get a 52 footer diagonally across a basin after reversing out of a tight spot.


It was only by the love of God that we made it back to our mooring. The yoof in the flats above had an hour and a half’s entertainment, but my nerves are shot to pieces. It took me two glasses of wine and three roll ups before my legs would stop shaking.


Any ideas of taking her on the Thames have been quashed for the foreseeable. We must have been mad to think of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Turtle said...

It was actually 5 roll ups, 2 glasses of wine and a beer darling, and god knows how much i had...

12:25 PM  
Blogger Boudicca Lee said...

Can I just state that you should have insurance (with third party) in case of accidents...and flicking through some websites you could both go for your 'RYA Inland Waterway Helmsmans Certificate' or something similar.

Love to you both from your tragically sensible friend xx

4:24 PM  
Blogger SargentPepper said...

oh my fucking GOD, welcome to my world friends. First time I took mine out to just turn her round. Wind took the bitch and she ran herself proper aground. wedged, swirling gravel I thought this house with an engine thing just sucks. You survived, so did she and despite what you think it does get easier. Sunny day, calm wind you will see how fun it can be.

I'm sorry guys, but I do love you.

Dougaldutch

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home